The SCJ Holdings Limited joined in the British High Commission’s annual community outreach programme titled ‘Away Day’. The merger between both entities resulted in two (2) events being held; ‘Pre-Away Day’ and ‘Away Day’. The Pre-Away Day was held on September 18, 2015, and featured one school: the Port Royal Primary & Infant School in Port Royal, Kingston. On the other hand, ‘Away Day’ featured five schools and was held on October 14, 2015. The five schools were:
- Dunoon Technical High School situated at 8 Crawley Road, Kingston 2,
- Greenwich All-Age School situated at 82B Spanish Town Road, Kingston 13,
- Melrose Primary & Junior High School situated at 3 Little Kew Road, Kingston 5,
- Penwood High School situated at 8 Rhoden Crescent, Kingston 20, and
- Edith Dalton James High School situated at 40 Herrick Avenue, Kingston 20.
Both events involved educating the students about their environment and the importance of trees. The students were made aware of the significant role trees play in our world, which includes but is not limited to improving air quality, providing oxygen and reducing the amount of carbon in the atmosphere. The need to take care of the environment was also reiterated. At the end of the lecture, the students planted trees in selected areas of the school compound. Not only did this allow them to enforce what they had just learnt but will also foster a sense of responsibility as they will be required to take care of the plants.
Both events ignited a fire in the students to share their newly discovered information with their peers. They will now educate their peers, parents, and community. This is has a potentially far-reaching impact and will make significant progress in our mission to protect the environment.
Below are a few photographs taken at the Pre-Away Day and the Away Day: